For Lash Pullers – Information on Latisse

Posted on

Dear Readers, good morning! I have had an exceptionally busy week and I regret not posting sooner.  It is a remarkable opportunity to share here, and I want to do so several times a week. Anyway, I wanted to talk about the glaucoma medicine that has been approved for growing eyelashes longer. The FDA has approved its sale under the name Latisse for assisting eyelash growth.

First I am going to post what Carol Novak, M.D., a member of TLC’s Scientific Advisory Board, has written about Latisse. Then talk about some posts I have seen of people trying it.

Dr. Novak says:

“Because the length of any individual hair depends on the length of the growth cycle, lengthening the cycle lengthens the hair. For trichotillomania this is not may not be especially useful. The product does not help hair grow faster or healthier, or start new growth faster. Lash pullers have shorter lashes because pulling out lashes prematurely shortens the growth cycle. If the follicles are still working, the lashes will grow back to their normal fullness and length if left to grow. A few key points: -Eyelash pullers most often re-grow lashes to their full length and thickness in approximately 12 weeks after stopping their pulling. Several more months may be required for traumatized follicles to recover. -No research of LATISSE™ has been done on patients with eyelash follicle trauma from chemotherapy or chronic pulling. -LATISSE™ works by lengthening the growth cycle of the eyelash follicle. It has not shown to grow eyelash hair faster, or stimulate new growth in previously-dormant follicles. – LATISSE™ seems to cost $140/month and the benefit ends if you stop using the product”

Very interesting! I remember when Fred Penzel, another member of our Scientific Advisory Board, started using this medication under another name for prevention of glaucoma, and boy does he have long lashes!  But – he is NOT an eyelash puller.

Recently, I have seen posts by a man online who is using Latisse to help grow his lashes. He is a lash puller, and says not only are they coming in nicely, but his “urge” to pull is effectively gone. He has only used the medicine for about 3 weeks, so it will be interesting to see if this continues.

Along the same line, there is a product I heard of over a year ago called “Enormous Lash” (from a company called Beauty Society) that people said did the same thing. It was to be put on every night, and the claim was it would grow your lashes. I heard from a young woman, a severe eyelash puller, that the Enormous Lash completely stopped the desire to pull. After 4 months, she had a long set of lashes for the first time in years. I don’t know how she is today, though.

So here’s the interesting thing to me: I just googled the Enormous Lash and now it states that you put it on twice a day instead of once, and it states that it is “prostaglandin free”  (it used to have something in it called 14-dihydro tinor pgf 2 (alpha) in it which I do believe is a prostaglandin! Sounds like they had something very similar to Latisse – which DOES have prostaglandin in it. Here’s a dictionary definition of prostaglandin:

n.  Any of a group of potent hormonelike substances that are produced in various mammalian tissues, are derived from arachidonic acid, and mediate a wide range of physiological functions, such as control of blood pressure, contraction of smooth muscle, and modulation of inflammation.

As you can see, it makes sense to use something with prostaglandins in it for glaucoma, which is a buildup of pressure inside the eyeball, and a source of potential blindness.

Here’s what it says about ingredients on the official Latisse Website

“Bimatoprost is the active pharmaceutical ingredient in the formulation of LATISSE™ and is proven to be safe and has been approved by the FDA in 2001. Bimatroprost is a structural prostaglandin analog, a lipid compound derived from fatty acids designed to bind to prostaglandin (PG) receptors. PG receptors are present in hair, particularly in the dermal papilla and outer root sheath. Although the precise mechanism of action is unknown, PG receptors are thought to be involved in the development and regrowth of the hair follicle, by increasing the percent of hairs in, and the duration of, the anagen or growth phase.”

And here’s a before and after pic from their site: (if I can get it to paste…)

latisse-case-1

I have also heard that use of Latisse can actually have an effect on your eye color, to varying degrees.

I have never been a real eyelash puller (just a few here and there) but I would dearly love to hear some feedback if anyone has experience with this product or similar items. Much love, Christina

100 thoughts on “For Lash Pullers – Information on Latisse

m viana said:
    June 12, 2009 at 7:49 am

would this work for hair on the head? is there something similar for hair growth on the head? i’m a 49yr old female living in the toronto area in canada with this hell since i was 13 yrs old; i can’t take it any more, it is so painful; but life goes on!

Marie said:
    June 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I saw the commercial on tv with Brooke Shields advertising Latisse. I know that this aids in growing the lashes, but the urge to pull will still be there won’t it, as that comes from someplace in the brain. I have been pulling since i was 11 years old, I am now 48. There have been times that I went for years without pulling and I had beautiful lashes and thick hair. I notice that when i am under stress, my desire to pull increases. i was taking anti-anxiety medicine and this seemed to help. So if I go back on the medicine and take latisse, would this give me back the thick long lashes that I was born with. Nobody knows of my disorder as I have always kept it a secret. When I was a child my mother would hit me in the face to make me stop pulling my lashes or she would make me sit on my hands. I know that my siblings have the same disorder as also i have members of the next generation with this disorder. what can help to make the urge to pull go away.

Liz said:
      June 27, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Hello,

I have suffered from trichotillomania for 10 years now. I am 30 years old. About 2 years ago i was finally able to beat the eyelash pulling and my eyelashes grew back for several months. Much to my dismay I started pulling again and have not been able to grow them back since. I have been on Welbutrin to help with the psychological part of this disease but it doesn’t really seem to help. I found out about latisse from a pop-up on the internet and began to research it. I am soooo happy that I did. I found a local doctor that sells it via the latisse website and they made it very easy for me(as this is something that is very embarassing). I have been using latisse now for about two weeks. I am not saying that latisse will cure the urge to pull, but psychologically it gives you something to focus on. It creates a different habit/routine that is more positive than what we are used to. Instead of pulling and destroying it gives you a reason to nurture your lashes. I like to think of it like a watering a garden:) I personally didn’t have ANY of the adverse side effects that some people had, like itchy or red eyes. The latisse product cost me about $120.00 for the bottle. Due to the fact that I went out and spent money on this product i want it to work, so that helps. And the fact that it comes in a very small bottle makes you aware of not wasting it, so i try not to touch my eyes at all one i have applied it, so that helps. The best part about it is that it DOES work! You know as well as i do that it takes FOREVER to grow your lashes back to be a length that is somewhat significant. In two weeks my lashes have grown to the point that i’m not wearing my glasses everyday just to hide the fact that i don’t have lashes! IT IS SO WONDERFUL. It takes a little longer to grow back the bald spots were there are no lashes at all, but if there is a lash starting to come in at all it grows long very quickly. I am so happy that i found this product. I had a very stressful day yesterday and stated to pull but the product seems to make it harder for the lashes to come out which is amazing. Usually after a day like that i would have bald eyelids today but i don’t. i will recommend this to anyone like you or I that suffers from this disease. I wear mascara now and my confidence has boosted. My sales at work have improved and I feel very excited every morning when I wake up just so i can look at the progress. It is so funny that people that don’t have this problem take their eyelashes for granted. I am just so glad that i found this product because it has given me my confidence back to look people in the eye without putting that “veil” up and hoping that they don’t notice. I encourage you to try this.

Chrissy said:
    June 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I have been pulling out my eyelashes since I was 6 years old and now I am 38. I saw a write up about Latisse in the magazine Allure last month. I currently use liquid liner on my eyes everyday to hide any bald spots. I am uncomfortable swimming and other outdoor activites if I am not wearing make-up. It basically sucks. I am picking up the Lastisse from a doctor in the area on Monday, $120 for 6 weeks worth. I will take before and after pics. This is a godsend if it truly works and just psychologically might get me to think twice before I pull. Thank you for this blog, I need help and just knowing other people out there are also suffering, definitely helps me.

Ashley said:
      August 12, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Hi Chrissy,
      I’m a severe eyelash puller too and I really want to try Latisse. I wanted to see how your results have been since you started taking it and if you got the chance to do before and after pictures? I use eyeliner as a cover up because I have not been able to perfect the art of false eyelashes and I hate how they feel!
      Thanks so much,
      Ashley

Kimberly said:
      January 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Did it work for you? I’m thinking about getting Latisse to help motivate me, like you said, make me think twice”.

Natasha said:
      October 29, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Hi Chrissy,
      My young daughter age 7 started pulling her eyelashes a year ago and I am at my wits end and desperately want to help her. Did the latisse work for you? Do you have any helpful hints coming from someone that also started so young? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
      Thank you, Natasha.

Anna said:
        November 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I am 54 have started pulling eyelashes at age 6 i would get slap in the face for this, they did not have a name for it in the 60’s was taken to a shrink said i did t for attention, yes i wanted to get smacked in the face, it has taken all theses years i have finally stopped pulling on my own, i would love to get the eyelash implants i would tink insurance would cover, i pray those who have this find a way to help with the pulling i know i would wear eyeliner to cover bald areas god bless all

maria said:
    June 16, 2009 at 2:43 am

I have pulled my eyelashes for over 30 years, sometimes completely removing every one out of embarrasment for having spaces in between ones I left in! I have been using latisse for 6 weeks now and I can not believe what is am seeing and Not feeling. The lashes are coming in evenly all over, and thick. And I have absolutley no annoying feeling that they are bothering me and hence I do not have the urge to put my hands to my eyes to relieve the usual sensation that causes me to pull on them. This is the longest I have ever gone without pulling any lashes.
    I do not know why or how it is stopping the sensation or need, but it is.

Karen said:
      August 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hi Marie.. I’m researching Latisse at the moment and was interested in reading your post. I’ve also been a hair puller since I was 11 and bar going a few weeks here and there of being good my eyelashed are pretty much non existent all the time. Which is why I was really interested in your post. The side effects of Latisse dont sound great and if I still had the urge to pull what would be the point. However if the urge was gone and the lashes were safe that would be amazing.. and I might be able to feel I could get a proper life going! Would love to hear how things are now and whether you feel it would be worth taking Latisse or not? Thanks soo much for your help, Karen

HeatherBWS said:
        August 30, 2011 at 9:02 pm

It seems that most of these posts are 2010 and earlier, but I also purchased Latisse and am finally ready to try it after reading these posts. My dermatologist recommended it about a year ago for eyeBROWS and eyelashes. I wonder if anyone has tried brows? Can anyone provide any long-term benefits or effects?
        22 year trich survivor (or not)
        Keep me posted on how it goes!
        Heather

josie said:
    June 28, 2009 at 5:54 am

Bimatoprost (Latisse) is known to have higher rates of adverse effects and hyperemia (irritating red eyes) than Latanoprost.

Why would you put a full dosage glaucoma medicine close or in your eyes? So you can reduce intraocular eye pressure unnecessarily for growing eyelashes? The best doctors across the country are custom compounding latanoprost instead. Get the facts for your own safety.

Theresa said:
    July 7, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I have been a puller since I was about 5 or six. I am turning 40 this year. I started Latisse about 6 weeks ago and am thrilled with the results. For the first time in my life I have a full set of lashes and eyebrows. I still sometimes have the urge to pull but have noticed that my new lashes are not as easily pulled out – not saying that they are stronger and resistant to pulling, just saying for me the improved “health” of my lashes seems to help in lessening the urge to pull. I am a texture puller – if a hair feels “off” then I want to pull – with the latisse my lashes “feel” uniform thus lessening the urge to need to pull. It is expensive but after years of embarrassment and trying to hide my condition, this is one expense that is for me worth it. My only complaint is that the brushes to apply the Latisse are not very good. Six weeks with no pulling of my lashes is a first for me ever. I am hoping that I can continue. Good Luck everyone! :)

Betty said:
      July 11, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Hello new to the blog here.
      After pulling both my lashes and brows (but i shave my brows mostly)for 20 years following being molested that enough is enough.I’m so very glad i found this site as i did’nt understand or even know the illness had a name to it and indeed i felt alone with it.The way i look at it,i’ve lost so much of my life living this way as you all know what it’s all about and to put it frank IT SUCKS.
      I have decided after all my research that trying
      Latisse is well worth a shot and it would be a nice thing for me to do for myself after all i’ve been threw.
      So further more my idea is to photograph and journal my experiment so any one suffering and thinking of trying it can see the progress.
      I feel like that is something that is much needing among us friends as we all have a common bond and understand support for each other.

I’ll be going to the doctor next week and start my notes there.I’m scared in a way as people & doctors over the years have judge me but i’m very excited of the possibility of having lashes again as i was 10 when i last had them.

Ps. To the original blogger of this site You Rock!
      Hugs

julene said:
    July 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I have been a lash, brow and hair puller for 30 years. Recently, I had a wonderful, though brief, breakthrough and my lashes filled in for the first time in years. I have been using Latisse and it helps the growth phase happen more quickly and makes the lashes longer. I find it a little irritating sometimes, but not bad. I’ve also been using Latisse on my eyebrows with a little success but nothing impressive. My biggest help has been incorporating acupuncture. If I see my acupuncturist every two weeks or so I am able to stay in control of the urges. When I go longer between sessions I relapse.

I am very interested in the recent article I read about using NAC to help control trich. Has anyone tried the amino acid therapies?

Zola said:
      February 19, 2010 at 10:21 am

I helped my daughter try the NAC therapy. Unfortunately, it didn’t do a thing for her. I found a company in NC that produces amino acids for research (instead of going to a vitamin store) and ordered it from them. I ran the idea past her psychiatrist. We tried the suggested dose for about six months. The research showed that it worked well for a significant number of people, I hope you’re one of them.

Betty said:
    July 28, 2009 at 6:48 am

I’ve gone 3 weeks without pulling (after 20 years of pulling) and it’s been the hardest thing i’ve ever done.So as a reward i decided to go in and get the Latisse.My experience with buying the product was i called and they said just come in no appointment was needed.I went into the office and was asked to only fill out a paper with my name and phone number and just like that in the waiting room they came out with the product no need to go anywhere else,no questions,judgments or history.It cost $120 for 8 weeks.I was given a booklet about the product a very small bottle of the liquid and 60 sealed brushes.What a surprise to just snap up the product with no hassle A+.I applied it tonight with no problem,i used a make up remover prior to make sure to have a clear surface.I’ve had no burning or problems to note.
    My goal in documenting this experience is to photograph the results and keep a journal.
    Starting off with this whole thing i had zero lashes and was a daily puller. After the 3 weeks of not pulling i felt was nessasary so i knew i could finally do it after 20 years and not just waste my money.I could’nt believe it my lashes started to pop up again and i have’nt seen them in 2 decades.I knew i was ready and excited for what was to come.
    I will keep posting on how things are going and i do want to add that over the 3 weeks of not pulling i did use a vitamin e liquid applied with a q-tip to my eyelids and i think that really helped so anyone that cant afford or isnt ready for the lattise yet may want to try that.
    I’m hopeful for the first time that i can feel normal again and the freeing feeling is great!
    Enough is enough and with the finding of this website i feel a huge sigh of relief that i’m not alone.
    What a rare battle we all fight and i was wondering if anyone else has ever come across someone else in the world in public that has the same condition.I myself have not.

Bobbie said:
      March 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I am so happy to have found this website as I too suffer from trichotillomania. Until today I didn’t know what it was called and have been pulling both lashes and browns daily for 25 plus years. When I was younger I came across another girl that did the same thing and was baffled that I wasn’t the only one as I have always been so ashamed and embarassed. Now seeing how many of us there are it is an odd relief. I would love to wake up in the morning and not worry about drawing my eyebrows and putting on liquid eyeliner to “mask” myself. It gives me great excitement to know everyone is having such luck with Latisse. I am 35 weeks pregnant and was advised to wait till my daughter is born before I start using it. I am counting down till both now :) I have found that wearing band-aids on my thumbs has helped me realize when I am doing it and more difficult so I am not doing it as often. I am going to start taking pictures tonight just using the band-aid method for the next 6 weeks then will continue with the photos after I begin using Latisee so I can test the results. I am glad I am not alone and wish everyone the best on beating this. What freedom it would be… ahhh. :)

Maureen said:
    July 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I was doing some research on lash growth products and also found LiLash – has anyone had any expreiences with it? It is available without a Rx and costs approx. the same as Latisse.

I have been a lash puller since I was about 8, inexplicably stopped (for the most part) 5 years ago but these past two weeks have been back at it – left eye almost all gone, right eye 1/2 gone. This is sucha maddening feeling, not wanting to pull but being unable to stop myself.

I recently started psychotherapy for other issues and I think the stress of that awareness is what brought this on. As much as I want to grow and be better emotionally, it’s scary and stressful and confusing b/c I don’t know why I am the way I am.

Gratefully yours,
    Maureen

Michele said:
    August 11, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I am so excited that I found this site. I have suffered with trich since I was around 11 and I am now 46. I hid it for many years but finally was unable to keep it a secret any longer. As hard as I try I can not stop and my family does not understand. They think I should just stop it. Do you have to go to a certain type of doctor to get the medicine. Does anyone know if there are meds you can not take while taking Latisse? I take a lot of meds due to chronic conditions I suffer with.

Thanks.

Betty said:
    August 15, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Latisse is a trich girls best friend!
    I’m almost 3 weeks with using Latisse and my eyelashes are amazing with no side effects and no pulling.It’s so strange but i look forward to seeing the progress everyday and it’s been a month of no pulling and i feel like a changed person.I would urge anyone to try Latisse and you will love it.
    I do wear mascara but i think it’s just because i have never in my life worn it and it’s such a cool feeling to after all these years what a commercial for Revlon and not feel bad but think hey i can go buy that stuff now.
    So there is hope and with the support of others that understand you can do it

Danielle said:
    September 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I would really love to try Latisse. Unlike most of the comments, I’m barely a teenager. I’ll be turning 13 in a couple months! I’ve been an eyelash puller for about 8 months. I actually pulled last night. I have about 5 little stubs on each eye. I used to have such full lashes. But its so expensive! (Well to me). Is there anything else cheap?
    Thanks!
    ~Danielle~

Danielle said:
      September 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Hi Everyone! It’s Danielle again and I have one question, where is the TLC website made or stationed at? I’m the East Coast and It’s the 11th hour in the morning and it says its 3 PM!
      I’m just curious. Thank you everyone!
      ~D

Emily said:
        October 21, 2009 at 8:47 pm

My heart goes out to you, Danielle, as I started pulling out my own eyelashes at age 12 as well. An option cheaper than Latisse is fake eyelashes! I remember thinking they were too tacky to wear when I was your age (I never wore them until high school)–but I have since perfected the art of applying them and I now get compliments regularly. People are jealous of the way the fake eyelashes look on me–they never ask why I actually wear them! While I amd still looking into trying out Latisse so I can have that look naturally, I know I always have my fake eyelashes as a back up. Just a tip that has been a life saver for me!

SaraTaylor444 said:
        February 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Hi Danielle- I began pulling at about 13 also, eyebrows more than lashes. The product I use nightly is called “Revitalash” and is available in the CVS drugstores. I even use it on my eyebrows and for the first time in many years, I have natural-looking eyebrows and eyelashes. It is about half the price of Latisse, and it does work!! Best of luck to you, sweetie.

Kay said:
      October 12, 2009 at 1:32 am

I’m not replying as a professional, but as a concerned stranger. I started when I was 12, too. But remember that Latisse, as expensive as it is, can have bad side effects. I don’t know if I would trust anything “cheaper.”

Kay said:
    October 12, 2009 at 1:29 am

hi. I am 22 years old and have been pulling for 10 years. I saw the Latisse commercial and just stopped what I was doing and watched it; my dad thought something was wrong! I was wondering about it myself; I love the color of my eyes and I love making them pop with make up, but I can almost never do it because I don’t want to draw attention to them after pulling. and mascara is usually the best tool for that and..well, I can’t usually wear it. Medication kind of works, for the “casual” pulling, but I still have bad episodes. I can’t afford Latisse right now, unless I’m sure it will work.
    I’m also worried about the side-effects: change in eye color, or something worse. I love the color of my eyes. I really hope those of you who have promised don’t forget to post their experiences!!

Cara said:
      October 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Hi, I’ll post again, but time is short right now… wanted to tell you that my eye doctor said that the warning is more of a disclaimer… the way you use it on the edge of your eyelids, a LITTLE could get in your eyes, but she told me the only way it could change your eye color is MAYBE if you just squirt it directly into your eyes. At $120 for a teeny tiny bottle, you will be aware of every drop that you put on the applicator brush. I have blue-green eyes and it hasn’t affected the color…

SusieQ said:
      January 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I have been an eyelash puller since I was 14 and am now 52. In July of 2010 I got a prescription for Latisse as I convinced by GP at Kaiser that I needed to try this product. It was $107. Because it was costly and I wanted to change that habit, I kept my cotton pickers off my eyelashes. In three weeks my bald spots filled in and my eyelashes grew out to be lush and it was VERY exciting. I no longer had to use mascara. When I use mascara I pick it off and lashes come out of course. I love the brittle feeling that mascara gives my lashes… so having the option of not using mascara is great. I had brown eyes and no discoloration … HOWEVER, I do have a dryness in the eye from this use PLUS I do have lid discoloration. It disappeared after I quit using for intervals of 2 months and then started again. Bottom line: it is FABULOUS to have full, lush lashes and when you see “and feel” them, it makes you think twice about pulling. Good luck and hope this helps.

Cathy said:
    October 15, 2009 at 7:42 pm

What doctor do I need to see to get Latisse? My eye doctor? General physician? I am very excited about this. I have been an eyelash puller since I was 16 and I am 42. I hate it. The one time a few years ago when I did let my lashes grow, I felt so good and was not nervous to see next to someone. I hate when people see my profile. I would love to throw on some lipstick and mascara and just go. I am tired of pulling. Thanks everyone and to this site. I also did not realize how many people suffer from just eyelash pulling. I just don’t get why. I know that when I pull one lash, I get a very warm feeling all over my body. I need to replace that urge with something else to give me that same feeling. Ugh. Peace everyone and God Bless.

Bobbie said:
      March 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I get the same warm feeling and a bit of relief.

Dawn said:
    October 19, 2009 at 8:05 am

Hi, everyone. I have been a lash and brow puller for 25 years. Like many of you, I remember the moment I started and was appalled at what I had done. Surely I was the only person who had ever done something so insane! I had horrible experiences being a treatment guinea pig when I was young and felt constant shame-doesn’t help that I was one of those kids with hugely thick lashes. After years of resolutions and beating myself up for my lack of willpower, I let go of the idea of treatment and learned to live with it. I am happily married with 2 beautiful daughters and a great husband. I am a lawyer and I own my own firm. I once heard my family whispering in the kitchen that I would not have these things. That is ridiculous. This doesn’t have to hold you back. But it IS painful and shameful even when it’s on the back-burner. I don’t know why, after years of not even considering treatment, I have once again started to look into getting past this. I just ordered Latisse online (I had recently had a full eye doctor workup and was confident that I am a good candidate for it) after filling out a questionnaire–no office visit required (although I do think it’s advisable if you haven’t been to the eye doctor in awhile). I am going to start using it tonight. I also started taking NAC supplements (1200 mg) about 4 weeks ago. I think the thing to do is attack this however you can using everything available and don’t beat yourself up for the slip-ups. I have never spoken to anyone about this problem, including in a forum like this, but what I have noticed in my research of this condition is that we are all perfectionists, largely “type As”. As soon as we make one “mistake,” we deem it all a failure. I’ll keep you all posted on how the Latisse and NAC work, even if they don’t. It is nice to know we have company.

cheri said:
      December 7, 2009 at 8:57 am

just wondering what NAC is because at 43 and doing this since i was 6 and everyone in my family making fun of me (bald eagle and other mean names) thinking it would make me quit it didnt help. just made me feel like there was something wrong with me how could i pull out these long full dark beautiful eyelashes that most people would give anything to have. i even had photos taken of my eyes and about 15 doctors sitting around the table looking at me like i was crazy they came up with no conclusion. At that time they didnt know it was a disease which they do now. i would love to try this regement u r doing thanks for any info u can give me cheri

Dawn said:
        January 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Cheri, NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) is an antioxidant that you can find at Whole Foods or a drug store. It’s a little pricey.

Janet said:
        October 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Cheri,
        Just curious if the NAC works. I’d like to have my daughter try it. Also, where did you buy it? Thanks!

Charity Monae said:
    October 23, 2009 at 1:45 am

I have been pulling my lashes only for about 2 years. I am 16 now and it’s very hard to have any self esteem. I’m sure everyone with trich has experienced trying their best to not look someone in the eye and avoid embarrassment and questioning. I prayed and prayed and asked God to help me with trich. I don’t usually pull hairs as soon as they spring up. I can go for weeks without pulling. Usually when I pull, I only pull most of the lashes out of one eye. It’s a cycle that I go through. I pull all the hair out of one eye while the other eye is full of lashes. Then after like 3 to 4 weeks, they’ll start to grow in long then I feel an urge to pull the lashes out of my other. I am so greatful for the product latisse. I’m excited to tell my partnts about it. They don’t really understand trich but I’m ready to sit down with them both and pray they understand. Maybe they’ll cough the money and order for me. If not then I would probably have to go back to wearing tons of eyeliner I. My top lid. I’m no good at applying fake lashes. I mean, how do you make them stick to a bare eyelid?

Dawn said:
      October 23, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Oh, Charity. We all understand your pain and it’s somehow even harder when you’re a teenager, isn’t it? My dad was a doctor and my parents were very loving, but they did not understand either and were so frustrated with me. I wish there had been a web site like this to help us all. Have them read Dr. Penzel’s articles. I think his theories really make sense and ring more true to me than most things I’ve read about this disorder. I think they will be surprised to learn how many people suffer with this and remember that they love you more than anything in the world and they want to help you. Good luck!

Bobbie said:
      March 7, 2010 at 2:03 pm

When I was your age it was even harder to deal with what I did because I was also so afraid of people knowing. Fake lashes are actually easy to wear when you have no lashes. I wasa model before I started and so my lashes were a very important part of my “job” so I had to find how to use “falsies”. They actually look better on me than my friends that have real lashes. The best way is to buy a waterproof lash adhesive (doesnt mean you can get them wet. Do not buy the permanent glue as we have nothing for it to adhere to. I have used many brands and they are all about the same. My favorite lashes are a number 21 ast hey look very natural. Apply a thick line to the strip of eye lashes and wait for it to thicken a little. ( Over time you can tell from the shade of the glue). Once it has thickened a little take most of the glue off by blotting it on your palm. Start at the outside of the eye and place lash strip where lashes should be. HOLD in place till dried. It does take a little practice but they look great. If you have any other questions feel free to email me and I can send a pic of me wearing them to give you a better idea. And good luck beating this, you are not alone :) bobbielynndyer@yahoo.com

Charity Monae said:
    October 23, 2009 at 1:48 am

Sorry for all the typing mistakes.

trina said:
    October 24, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I started Latisse a few months ago and am thrilled with the results. The cost of Latisse motivates me not to pull and the rapid results have provided encouragement. Also, I noticed after several weeks that my eyelashes were more difficult to pull out as they got thicker. I’ve only relapsed twice and now only have one bald spot left to fill in. My only complaint is that eyelashes which are pulled out grow in more crooked and this is more pronounced on the Latisse. Otherwise I have not experienced any side effects

Heidi said:
      November 19, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I experience the same crooked eyelash regrowth! Try using an eyelash curler. Doesn’t do the trick completely but it helps!

Heidi said:
    November 19, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I’m 21 years old and my trich started when I was a toddler. Since I was 11, I have been pulling my eyelashes and eyebrows. After having my eyebrows surgically done last year, the desire to pull from them has ceased. My eyelashes, however, were another story. I stopped pulling in September and started using Latisse in the beginning of October. I now have full, thick eyelashes with NO bald spots (only some that are shorter than the others). I attribute this growth to mostly the fact that I have not pulled for almost two months, although I’m sure Latisse has played a role in it. It’s expensive, and to me, the idea of pulling money out of my face helps me not to pull!

Mary said:
      January 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

What is “having your eyebrows surgically done?”

Kim said:
      September 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hi Heidi!

I love your comment about “pulling money out of my face”. I am right there with you. I have been living with trich since I was a toddler as well. Approx 8 yrs old. I am now 32. I just started using Latisse (about a week) and I already see a difference. As of yet, I do not notice any adverse side effects. I also have not noticed the urge to pull, which is great. I feel that spending the money makes me want to make it work. I like one of the first posts on here that said focusing our energy on something more positive like nurturing our lashes is better than pulling them. Here is one week and counting :) But what did you mean when you said you had your eyebrows surgically done last year.. is that the permanent tattoo? Just curious.

Lesley said:
    December 3, 2009 at 10:42 am

I just found this website and am so happy! I have pulled since I was 8 (now am 35). People always would look at me like they knew something was wrong, but couldn’t quite put their finger on what it was. My dad has glaucoma, and has used the medicine for a couple of years. He has AMAZING eyelashes, so I was really excited when they started to market Latisse for eyelash growth. I wanted to wait a little while to get some testimonials before calling my doctor, which I just did after having read all of these posts!! My only concern is this: I do wear false eyelashes everyday. I have perfected it. I wanted to know if you can still used eyeliner/false eyelashes while using the product. I don’t want to do anything that would cause the product to not work, but I also don’t want to go from having eyelashes (albeit false ones)to none at all. I teach high school, and nobody is the wiser. If anybody does this, I would love to know it if is OK. Thanks!

emily blaylock said:
    December 7, 2009 at 7:07 am

hi im emily blaylock im 17 and im from swanton ohio.
    i have to pull every single hair out of my eyelash and my eyebrow. im very obsessed with somone but he doesnt like me so it makes me pull them out. so if he ignores me i go crazy and pull every hair out of my eyes and eyebrows. help me

Kristy said:
    December 7, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I’ve been using latisse for 8 weeks and it deffinately is working. I had one bare spot on my lower eyelid due to an eyelash curler accident – don’t ask – that has actually sprouted 2 baby eyelashes. $90 a month wasn’t in my budget so I ordered direct for only $12.50 a bottle. I’ve been using the same bottle for 8 weeks and there is still maybe 25% left. Ordered HERE http://cheaplatisse.blogspot.com/

cathy p said:
    December 11, 2009 at 10:41 am

I started pulling when I was around 17 and I am now 42. I started using Latisse on Oct 29, 2009 and have not pulled since that date – almost 2 months. I think a lot of it is mind over matter and sheer willpower. I try not to spend any time looking at them in the mirror because then the urge will come to pull because of the crookedness.I hope they continue to grow because I am actually wearing mascera for the first time in years!! My self-esteem is slowly coming back. I no longer worry when I have to sit next to someone and them see my profile of no lashes. That was the worst for me. I am proud of myself for coming this far and appreciate all the support here which actually gave me that push. When I feel itchy, I use a course glove to scratch so my fingers won’t pull to satisfy the itch.I carry that glove with me everywhere. Does anyone have a trick for curved or curled lashes? They are not long enough or strong enough for a lash curler to straighten them out.

chris said:
    January 19, 2010 at 1:04 pm

My thirteen year old daughter started to pull her lashes out 4 years ago after a boy stalked her in elementary school and told her he was going to kill her…She says she doesnt know she is doing it until they are gone….has anyone tried eyelash extensions to see if they would stop the urge?

marie said:
    January 25, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I have been an eyelash puller for about 10 years. It started when I was 22 and recall it taking place literally to the day when I was sexually taken advantage of by a date. I recall the exact night I started. Didnt know why I was doing it, only that it gave me unbelievable release and pleasure. I definitely think it had something to do with that stressful event offsetting this compulsion. I only pull the top row of lashes (completely)…every now and then i grab the bottom but its very rare- and every once in a blue moon I pick hair from other areas- but in no way is it anywhere near the severity of the top row of lashes- it gets me everytime.

Unfortunately I have tried Latisse once and while I was very impressed with the results, it does not stop the core problem- which is the urge to pull. Sure the lashes came back and made you not want to pull and destroy all that hard work. But your brain is more powerful then you think and always seems to win in the end.

I either may try Latisse again or try wearing false lashes every day (i seem to pull mostly in bed at night)and see if it helps. I have been desperate for 10 years and i am very into my appearance so this is devastating for me. I wear false lashes on weekends when i go out…but i want to have them all the time bc. i look so much prettier with lashes of course :)

Cathy- Before extensions or anything like that (btw i dont think it will work bc you need some lash to weave in the extension- and even so your daughter wil still pull..it only hides the problem..doesnt fix the urge. trust me, i wish it did)….but like i said, before trying to mask it I would serisously consider some temporary cognitive behavioral therapy for your daughter. Unfortunately once you pull it is very hard to stop-like smoking but i want to say the success rate is even less- HOWEVER- I have always believed in my heart that wehave the power to stop. Try and get your daughter in some therapy to help deal with the root of why she is pulling- clearly bc the stalking situation had her in severe duress.

My hope is that because she is so young you may be able to heal her early.

Best of luck. And remember, there could be other things that are worse.

marie said:
    January 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm

sorry- I meant to address Chris in my post above

Lauren said:
    February 14, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I was dx with trichotillomania when I was 14, and I am now 23 years old. In those years, I have had full lashes on both eyelids for maybe a total of 6 months. I recently purchased Latisse in an effort to give myself an extra reason to stop touching my eyelashes. Within 3 weeks I noticed my lashes are coming in fuller and the most recent bald spot is growing in nicely and a bit faster than usual. Even if latisse didn’t work – the fact that it is $120 a bottle makes it extra incentive to not touch your eyes.

Val said:
    February 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm

i recently saw a video clip on the today show where 3 women tried 3 different lash enhancers. one was latisse and another neulash. i have been trying to research these products. does anyone have information about neulash? i am 42 and have pulled for most of my adult life. in recent years i have stopped for the most part and maintained a more “normal” appearance but i recently started a new career and have been under a considerable amount more stress. it has triggered more pulling. any more information would be greatly appreciated!

Jennifer said:
    February 17, 2010 at 12:44 am

I have been using Rapidlash it runs about 50 bucks and I like to think it is working, but haven’t seen my lashes fully grown in so long I can’t be sure. If it isn’t working to make them grow it sure does help me not touch my eyelashes because I spent 50 dollars on it. I still pull my eyebrows, but that is the lesser of 2 evils and I am going to focus on that next. Now that my lashes are grown in I am going to buy a new tube of rapidlash and will be able to give a better review.

Jennifer said:
    February 17, 2010 at 12:50 am

Another observation…if you like to wear mascara on the new lashes take it off immediately when you get home and relaxed because the stiffness makes them easy to come out in clumps and more tempting to pull.

Val said:
      February 19, 2010 at 7:01 am

thanks for your info. i’m trying to work up the courage to try one of the products. but i wanted to share something about mascara. i have used maybelline full ‘n soft for many years now. i used to love great lash but found it to be dry and hard which made me pull more. the full ‘n soft stays softer, more like the natural lash and i’m less bothered by the texture.
      Also, another question for anyone using latisse. what happens when you quit using it and do most people experience irritation of the lid?

Debbie said:
    February 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm

What a wonderful thread this is. I self diagnosed myself when I was about 17 via the DSM which is like the encyclopedia of psychological disorders. Have had this disorder (trichotillomania) on and off since age 11. Spent alot of my teen years with no eyelashes at all. To top it off the double takes from other people was even more devastating for a teenage female. Leading to a deeper feeling of shame and humiliation was the inability to stop.
    In my 20’s, I was mostly on drugs and alcohol. This new addiction seemed to have stopped the former. Throughout my 30’s and early 40’s I would pull out patches and put false eyelashes in their place. Always worrying about getting them wet, making them look natural and the hassle of putting them on in the AM. My new and improved addiction is pulling out chin hairs combined with a more mild recipe of pulling out lashes. I’m 48 and have noticed that my lashes are thinning and taking much longer to grow back. I started the latesse 8 days ago and can already see a difference. I also feel like the psycological effect of nurturing the lash area every night by applying the latesse has reduced my urge to pull as well as the financial deterrent. I’m a little concerned because there seems to be fewer lashes than there was when I was younger. Does this mean that some of the folicles are not working and
    never will again? I can expect less successful results than if I was 30? I’m not complaining as even moderate improvement will be favorable.
    To Emily and all the other teens out there: This condition seems devastating and hopeless. ESPECIALLY when you’re young coupled with the fact that most loved ones don’t really understand. There is help out there and life gets easier and more fruitful. There are solutions to your problem. I encourage you to continue to ask for help. I believe you’ve already started by posting on this site.
    I’ll continue to keep you posted
    Debbie

Debbie said:
    February 19, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Almost forgot,
    Val, thanks for the tip on Maybeline ‘full & soft’

Debbie

Mimi said:
    February 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm

@Val – I’ve been using Latisse for 2.5 months and have not experienced eyelid irritation. I got the Latisse from a friend who’s a nurse, and she suggested I apply it as she does – using 1 drop for both eyes (yes, the same brush for both) – to make the Latisse last. It works!

@Debbie – I’m also in my 40s. My lashes are now super long! I saw a difference in length w/in a few weeks, and now (it’s been 2.5 months) see a difference in density. Yay!! I keep mascara to a minimum…

Mimi said:
    February 22, 2010 at 11:01 pm

P.S.: I should clarify that I pulled eyelashes and brows on and off when I was a teenager. But that was the least of my problems. I preferred my scalp hair, and the pulling has returned with a vengeance the past year. I definitely don’t expect the hair on my head to grow, and biopsies confirmed this. (I did not pull for year; the hair never grew…) But because my lash and brow pulling was minor, I never thought follicles were damaged.

Lynda said:
    February 23, 2010 at 7:55 pm

So glad to find this site! I’m 48 and have been pulling my lashes since I was 8 years old, so that’s 40 years of plucking. I just can’t seem to stop for more than a month. I started using Latisse one month ago. I am excited to report that in this month I haven’t had the urge to pull, which is amazing!!!!….I agree with the other posters that “Watering the Garden” with this expensive fertilizer seems to, so far, keep me from doing that ugly habit!!…I really think it’s the fact that the cost of this medicine must be entering my subconcious mind and spanking the urge to pull trigger!!!…I just hope this feeling lasts!!…I will check back in a month to report my progress……Lynda:-)

Tracey said:
      January 31, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hi Lynda. Just checking in to see how you are and how the Latisse is working on your eyelashes.
      Thank you.

Dian said:
        February 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I have been a brow puller and eyelash puller for 23 years. I can tell that Latisse will work, I have used it for over 3 1/2 years, but I have found a down side also, it seems to not work now as it has in the past, I find that they grow in but then others start shedding like crazy and I end up looking like I pulled sometimes when I didn’t, I have contacted Allergan several times and let them know, they have told me that like any medicine it may stop working or not work as good after a while. I have also found that quite a few grow crooked or in a downward position which I cant stand and I end up pulling out when I just can’t take it anymore, I am not pulling as often as I used to but I still have my moments, I actually just pulled out some lashes because I had short ones and really long ones left from the last bottle of Latisse, so I am using Latisse again to try and grow them, I have been able to grow eyebrows really well in the past with Latisse but now they don’t grow back like they used to, I had to realize that if I continue to pull, hairs will grow back super slow and maybe not at all, sorry, but it’s the truth and I have had to face it and live with what I have done and I used to have beautiful lashes and brows and now, not the same. I encourage you to get help from a therapist or psychiatrist, because nothing will help more than to get more control over pulling before too much damage is done. I am actually going to get back on meds again because they have told me that stress will cause even slower growth for hairs and actually cause lashes to fall out prematurely, and Trich is very stressful and when you add it to the stresses of life, it’s overwhelming. So I hope Latisse works for you, but if you haven’t sought help from a professional yet, I encourage you to do so, I pray for all Trich sufferers, I pray everyone will receive the strength to stop and for all the hair that has been lost to grow back and for everyone to be happy.

Mimi said:
    March 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I’m wondering if we’re on the wrong track in thinking Latisse removes urges. I never bought into the “urges” argument, and I strongly disagree with wording that includes trigger, addiction and relapse. (Yes, I know I’m in the minority!!)

Since starting Latisse, I don’t touch my eyelashes. More important, I don’t feel itching, tingling, pain or any sensation, all of which are present on my scalp. So maybe Latisse not only extends the follicle’s growth stage but also soothes or desensitizes the follicle?

It’s been almost 3 months and my eyelashes are think and long. I wish I could afford this for my scalp!

Good luck, everyone!!

debbie said:
      March 27, 2010 at 11:41 am

I Have this same question. Have been using Latesse for 2 months and I still have some thin spots. Hoping this will clear up in months to follow

Trisha said:
    March 14, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’m now 45 and while I rarely have the urge to pull anymore, I seem to have permanent bald spots, and the places where my eyelashes still grow in , they are short and thin.

has this product worked for anyone with similar circumstances?

thanks

jerseygal said:
      July 27, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Trisha: I started pulling eyelashes at age 14 and pulled regularly/severely in high school and up until my late 30s. Then stopped (after I was humiliated about it). Got cancer last year, lost my hair and eyelashes and eyebrows. Did not pull lashes or brows but really pulled the tiny shafts of scalp hair growing back. I seemed to search for the coarse/abnormal hair vs. thin hair; I also was really stimulated to pull when I was first on chemo because the hair came out without a tug–it was weird. I finally stopped pulling in February (my scalp hair) but I was in despair that my eyelashes and brows would forever be denuded. Started on Latisse and I will NEVER stop using it!! Eyelashes are pretty long, not thick–and I do think that I traumatized the follicles after decades of pulling. However, with Latisse and mascara NO ONE THINKS I HAVE SPARSE EYELASHES. No other side effects of any note. By the way, I am a nurse practitioner and latisse is worth it to prevent depression and lift mood (being without lashes can mark you for life) and there are significant health risks (scratched cornea, infection of the eye) with eyelash loss. However one risk: you will spend $$ on Latisse and mascara!!! Lastly, I seem compelled to hair twirl but not pull; I also take Zoloft and it sure helps. hope this helps.

Lynda said:
    March 27, 2010 at 10:47 am

Mimi, can you expain in more detail why you don’t think pulling one’s eyelashes is an urge? I can’t think of it in any other terms…..To me, it’s like an itch that I have to scratch, or I’ll go crazy….Out of the blue, I can get that “itch” or “urge” and I must pull an eyelash….Lynda

Mimi said:
    April 15, 2010 at 2:13 am

Hi Lynda – I’m sorry. I should have reworded what I wrote. I primarily pull scalp hair, and I don’t experience urges. I might have had them when I was a child, but pulling seems to be a habit these days, and I don’t feel an intensity or immediate need for relief.

This is such a tough condition/disorder to define and classify. Thanks for explaining.
    — mimi

Claire W. said:
    April 15, 2010 at 10:25 am

This thread is wonderful! My lashes have looked great for six months! I never touch them. I was sure the hair follicles were damaged..

I’m also hesitant to apply addiction terminology to trich — but if it increases awareness and money, I’m all for it. The above poster differentiates between adult pulling and childhood pulling, and I agree there’s a big difference. I pulled unconsciously when I was young, then i was painfully aware of everyone’s reactions. Now, in my 40’s, I modify the behavior.

Years ago I gave myself permission to pull. I stopped beating myself up and looking for answers. That enabled me to move forward. – C

Brianna Van Allen said:
    May 4, 2010 at 9:10 am

hello!
    i am so grateful to have come across this site..i have been ‘pulling’ since i was 11 or 12 and haven’t yet stoppped at 32. i am very interested in trying latisse and am happy to read of others having such positive results! though has anyone tried it on bottom lashes and had success? my bottom lashes on my right eye have been missing for several months at least ( i lost track :( ) and it seems like latisse is only meant for top lashline. also a on a side note has anyone noticed this condition seems to predominantly affect women?

Carlos said:
    July 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

This is a great post that I’ll be sharing with a friend of mine who is a “lash puller”.

Thanks

Cottega said:
    August 23, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m so happy I came across these posts! I’ve been pulling out my eyelashes since I was 14, and at about age 20 I started with my brows. I’ve contemplated purchasing Latisse since I’ve seen the ads, but it is far to expensive for me. But after reading these post today I broke down and ordered revitalash. Currently I have no lashes on my top lids just little stubs, so I’m eager for it to come, and I can’t wait to see the difference. I’ve worn glasses for years, so I’ve always been able to hide behind them, but anytime someone stands to close, I feel as if they immediately notice my BIG secret. I really want to make a transition into contacts, so I’m hopeful revitalash will work, and that I no longer have to hide behind my frames. I’ll keep you posted!

Lucy said:
    September 14, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Hi,

I am a sever eyelash puller and have been for about 7 years. I have gone months with out any eyelashes at all.. always picking them out right when the grow back in. My mom generously decided to buy latisee for me as an incentive to stop pulling. For the first two months I was so focused on how much money my mom was spending and how badly I wanted eyelashes that I maybe pulled 5 lashes in 60 days. However, I had trouble not touching them. Now that I have been using it for almost 4 months I still do not have a full set. I have eyelashes in the corners of my eyes but every time they are almost full I begin to pull out the middle ones. Once I make any big gaps from pulling accidentally I try to control it because I know how expensive the product is. My point is that while Latisse does work and may momentarily stop your pulling because you are so focused on not doing it…. it will not cure the problem completely. Its a disease…that needs to be treated with a psychologist through habbitt reversal training and things like that :(

Liah said:
    November 24, 2010 at 11:54 pm

it makes me feel good to see so many others that suffer from this issue the same way i do. i’m 19 and i’ve been pulling since i was maybe 6 years old. i pull out eyelashes, eyebrows, and scalp hair. about 4 days ago, i pulled out all of my eyelashes from both of my eyes. the experience scarred me. i hate not having eyelashes. i was so pretty compared to how i look now without them. i wear makeup and glasses to try to hide it but somehow i don’t feel that im ever successful in doing this. i use a L’Oreal lash serum. i think it actually works. its the cheapest and the only thing i’ve tried. does anyone kno if vaseline, olive oil or castor oil actually stimulate eyelash growth? i’m willing to try any and everything. eventually latisee when i can afford it. a couple of months ago, i started attending therapy and in a week i will see a psychologist, who will hopefully prescribe me with something to try to help stop the urges. i wish i had been able to get this sort of help earlier. but you all kno how hard it is to get others to understand what we do. i always got the “just don’t do it” talk from my parents, who to this day still dont believe that my hair pulling is something serious and real that i could never control. i was even punished when i was younger whenever my parents found bald spots. i will never forget the one time i was beaten for pulling out my hair. its an experience that i will never forget and one that has affected the way i pull my hair out now. i do it discreetly so that its not noticeable, which proves very difficult because sometimes, the urge doesnt let me pull discreetly. so sometimes the damage is very noticeable. trich is something i hope to overcome and i would like to be of guidance and assistance to those who seek solace as they endure the hardship of dealing with trich.

debbie said:
    November 27, 2010 at 7:44 pm

The Latisee has worked pretty well. However, in the last couple of months I seem to be pulling more than usual. 2 pretty big bald spots among long healthy eye lashes now. Still feel a kind of ithching feeling and continue to pull. Found a product on line for eyes with allergies. Ordered mascara and eyeliner. I’ll keep you posted as to how this works. My pulling seems to be triggered by using make up. the name of the product escapes me at the moment.

Liah, How wonderful it is that you are getting help now and openly address your condition. Don’t give up. It gets better

Debbie

Jessica said:
    February 2, 2011 at 7:20 am

I am thinking about trying Latisse if I can get it with my insurance card. I am 22 yrs old and have been pulling since I was 7. I pull lashes, brows and from my scalp.I have tried therapy but that did not work. At the moment I am working on my relationship with God, and hoping that praying will help. I feel so guilty when I pull that I feel I am disobeying God because in the bible it tells us not to defile our bodies. Hopefully my desire to please God will overpower this desire to pull. If Iam able to get Latisse I hope it does calm down my urge to pull.

Debbie said:
    February 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve found eye make-up products that have changed my life. The company is called ‘ eye care cosmetics ‘. They are a european company. No more itchy nagging feeling. This product coupled with Latesse. My eyelashes are looking pretty sultry these days. Check them out on line!!

Viv said:
    February 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I have been pulling my lashes and brows since I was about 11 years old!! I am now 39!!! I have times when the pulling is less and then other times, during stereo of course, the pulling increases. I did some serious damage to my right eye lid last November, leaving an enormous bald spot!! I started Latisse immediately and of course, will a little pulling here and there, I managed to grow a beautiful set of lashes!! That is until we moved house a few weeks back!!! I noticed that I was pulling a bit more frequently, then suddenly, this weekend, I totAlly lost control!!! Have pulled out most of my right eye lashes and feel quite heartbroken!!! I have started taking NAC again!! Feeling very tired and my spirits are low!! Now to start to whole procedure all over again and hope it works again!! Very sad x

faroq said:
    April 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

been a eyelash/head hair puller since the age of 12 – i’m now almost 41. i’ve pretty much kicked the hair pulling (going to therapy for childhood emotional baggage seems to have resulted in less anxiety and greatly reduced the hair pulling). as for eyelashed, i’ve found that if i condition my eyelashes the itching and irritation that prompts me to pull is greatly reduced. while trying to figure out what could be making my eyes SO incredibly itchy i switched over to using jojoba oil on a q-tip to remove eyeliner. i also made it a point to condition my eyebrows after washing my face. regularly replacing my contact lenses is another thing i’ve been more careful with, too. i think it really has helped with the pulling. that being said, i just began using latisse to see if it’ll help fill in the gap i have on each of my upper eyelids. it’s only been two weeks, but i think there’s already some lengthening happening in the established eyelashes; the jury is still out on gap-filling, though.

eyelashgrowthlover said:
    August 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

Wooow! It’s working.. I’am totally amazed by the result. I’m excited to try that one.

Lucy said:
    October 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I have been pulling since I was 12 too like most of you. I have gone through periods when I start completely then start again. I used Lilash off AMAZON and didn’t see any results. However, I bought Biotin 2 weeks ago (off amazon called Now Biotin) and my goodness, my eyelashes have been sprouting! It is so crazy! It makes me see that they are growing back and makes me stop pulling and motivates me to let them grow when I see how long they’ve gotten! I suggest you all try. Seeing results can possibly motivate you.

Beverly Drumm said:
    February 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I never thought I’d ever see my lashes again due to the fact that I was a chronic puller. I’ve been pulling for 16 years. After several failed attempts of trying to stop on my own I finally went to seek professional help and got a prescription for latisse.It really does work. I had wonderful full set of lashes for half a year for the first time in years. Can’t describe how amazing it was not to have to hide behind glasses, makeup and hairstyles.But sadly I got stressed again and had a relaspe.Getting better though they’re coming back in still have some bald spots but lots of little lashes can see from the side Just not super long in the front like they were before. I have half a bottle of latisse left so I’m going to use the rest of that. Only bad thing is my eyelids itch like crazy when using it and slight swelling and redness. But the end results makes it worth it in the end. Yay latisse! I can’t wait to have a full set of lashes again and look normal for a change.Will need to manage my stress better so I can avoid another relapse and stay positive.

Dian said:
    February 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hello, my name is Dian, i have suffered from trich since i was 18 and now i am 41. my pulling seems to stem from stress especially marital, which i am still married have been for 23 years, too much invested to let go, but my pulling started pretty soon after my marriage, he made a comment about my unibrow, and things went from there, although i must accept responsibility for pulling, no one made me do it. it progressed to my eyelashes i have pulled them out completely atleast 5 times in the past 23 years but more of pulling them just half out, my eyebrows have taken the full affect of trich for most all of the 23 years, I also have body dismorphic disorder which is worse when you do distructive things to yourself, i have wanted to die so many times, i am a pro at camoflaging, no one has ever been able to tell i don’t have hair unless i let them know, and now most everyone knows, it’s nothing we should be ashamed of if you can’t help it, i have tried just about every growth product on the market, that’s the truth i have the bills for proof, i used latisse 3 yrs ago for the first time with great results, then i thought that it began making them fallout, but i believe now it to be because of severe stress in my life, they say lashes will suffer in severe stress. I

have never pulled the hair on my head, which is weird but i am thankful. i take more vitamins than most people, i was up to 30 per day most for hairgrowth, my hair on my head has slowed WAY down in growth which is upsetting, but i am
    dealing with it, i have been to every dr out there, i went
    to dr who said that N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine has been shown to help 80% of people who pull, i have been on it for about 3 weeks and i can say it seems to work for me, for me it seems to work on the urge to pull, i find i am staying away from the mirror more which is good, i take (2) 600mg per day along with my other vitamins, plus i take (2) Calmadvantage in morning to relieve stress and anxiety, i have been on those for a year, i have taken several different depression meds over the last 13 years with bad side effects so for me finding something natural was a good choice. I would make it clear that you should talk to your dr before starting anything new to be on the safe side, and if you get the ok from your dr to take them they can be purchased at good health food stores, for me this has greatly helped, but i have also shed alot of tears and prayed and i believe that when i look into the mirror now what i see is a miracle in the working, i have more eyebrows that i have had in years they look almost like what i had 23 years ago, and i have put them thru it, my eyelashes look pretty good considering all they have been thru, i have started using latisse again, and also i found another lash growth product that gave me good results also it’s called Aleralash. My prayer for each of those who suffer from this will be healed and that all the hairs that have been lost will grow back and you will began to feel good about yourself, i pray that for myself, my little 9 year old prays for me everyday. Find a good caring dr who specializes in this, a dr you can talk to like a psycologist, i have found one and she is so nice. i am sorry this is sooooooooooo long, i want to help those who suffer, i feel the pain and all that goes with this disorder, remember this you have to believe you are beautiful no matter what, and i know it’s hard, but tell yourself that everyday, put a note where you will see it. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed day today and everyday, i take life one day at a time. God Bless You.

good resu
    lts when none of the others did, It is called Aleralash

http://eyelash-growt said:
    June 9, 2012 at 11:29 am

Thank you for sharing this valuable informative article. I am sure that it will help me a lot to know a lot. Waiting to know more from you.

lashgirl said:
    July 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I just started using Latisse. I am so into the whole regrowth thing that I have not pulled my eyelashes in three days (since beginning the Latisse regimen). I have totally embraced the effort to grow long, pretty lashes. Using Latisse has a psychological effect on me–it’s a new direction of my energy! I barely had any eyelashes when I decided to begin using it just earlier this week. (They are still sparse but I have this sense that I am cultivating something stunning which is just weeks away!) It was very brave of me to ask my doctor about it. I didn’t reveal that I was a puller; I simply said that I was very self-conscious about having thin, short lashes. (I used such thick black eyeliner that he literally had to look closely to acknowledge what I was suggesting.) He didn’t hesitate to write the prescription and didn’t question me about pulling. (I was glad because I don’t think I felt like getting into it.) Anyhow, I asked about the side effects and was reassured that the likelihood of pigment change was very rare. I did some research online and decided to buy a new makeup brush instead of using the cheap, plastic (sterile) ones that they included in the package. Though there are warnings against using other brushes, I know that I will have better control with applying the medicine if I use a good brush. Having so many barren spots makes it likely that I will get the product in my eye unless I have good control of the liquid. It was almost silly to consider the risk of not using a sterile brush–if they only knew how dirty my hands have been as I have pulled over the last 30 years! A clean brush is sterile by comparison to my picky fingers that have touched my eyes over and over!

Ashley Monroe said:
    March 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

Its good to know the bad effect of wrong use of Latisse. Thanks for sharing.

sabellamarconi said:
    March 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Hi to all,I am Mishel.I am using latisse since 4 months and its results are amazing.
    Latisse is generally applied once a day and at the base of upper eyelashes. Its eyelash enhancing quality is due to Bimatropost. Latisse is the first FDA approved eyelash enhancer on the market.

Lydia said:
    March 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Does Latisse work on eyebrows? I’ve been pulling since the age of 8 and it’s really horrible. I can’t go swimming and whenever people get near my face I freak out. Thank you. It really felt great to see others having the same problem!

Bel said:
    March 31, 2013 at 4:54 pm

A relieved reader of all these comments! I’m so pleased I’m not the only one; well, I did meet someone in my local area who lash-pulled, like me, but since then: no-one! So, I’ve been lash-pulling since I was 13 and am now 50. I’ve stopped on numerous occasions, with extreme difficulty, but then started again. I liken it to a form of self-harm, not entirely sure what triggered it in the first place. Except, maybe, it coincided with me starting to wear glasses. Oh, and maybe the fact that people always remarked on my beautiful long lashes. I didn’t like this, particularly from some potentially sleazy males (in my teen years, I was very afraid of the male of the species!). So perhaps, in response to the attention that my beautiful lashes got me, I took them out, which kind of defeats the object and probably gets you MORE attention!
    I’m currently at a pause in the pulling stakes, although I have had a gap on one lid, which I removed last July; they’re on their way back now, fingers crossed I can keep them! Sorry for my waffle, but I’m just excited to have found you all! Good luck to all of you! I know the length of time that I’ve been doing it may not be very good news for some, but there IS hope! :)

Carrie said:
      April 1, 2013 at 7:02 am

Hi Bel. Thank you very much for writing. I can relate to you on so many levels…. our sad stories are quite similar. I’m happy to hear that your lashes are still able to grow in. Mine barely grow… Are you using any product to stimulate their growth? Please share whatever you feel comfortable sharing. Thank you.
      Take care. Be well.
      Carrie

christina said:
    September 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm

My sister recommended xlash eyelash serum and she bought this for me frome this website http://www.xlash.net/ and it was worth the money. It took a few weeks for it to kick and my lashes were fuller and thicker, now I can see they are getting longer. My sister has been using it for over two months and her lashes look like gorgeous lashes.

Jaden Johnson said:
    October 23, 2013 at 8:24 pm

After almost 30 years of off-and-on, but soooo awfully ‘ON”, I have found the trick! (oops Sorry – pun intended).
    My mom said, “Put scotch tape on your fingers” – Well I had heard and envisioned that before, but this time I thought about my mind and reactions and so I decided to put a little scotch tape around the top of my middle fingers, covering the nails (left and right hands). Well…. after that night, I have not even thought about pulling since then! Probably because once my mind knew that I could not realistically pull without my 3rd finger tip/nail (because of the tape), that this disorder has no more control of me, if all it took is tape!! So, anyway… 2 weeks without thinking about pulling.. Only have had to wear the tips a couple times, but – be safe and wear them every time you are alone, likely, daily, all the time, – whatever your need is…. Be strong and vigilant! (Unless of course you don’t want the hair to grow :O)

tlckelly said:
      December 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Wow Jaden, that is great that you have found something that works for you! So many people struggle for decades like you to find the one thing that works for them because there is not a cure-all solution! -kelly

Amy said:
    December 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi ..I’m also a hair puller..for me only lashes and today when yet again I failed to resist and control my urge I went in Google and came across all of our posts and it just gave me hope..I’m 18 and I’ve suffered from when I was 12.. Before my urges were v great and I almost never had eyelashes and I used to hide behind a thick layer of topliner and eyeliner. Recently a few ppl did notice and embarrass me about it but because I suffer from eczema as well now I just say that due to my itching my eyelashes fall off and I used the same excuse to my mother because I don’t want her to worry about it but its so hard hiding at home too. I just wanted some feedback on this latisse and if any success stories as I would really lyk to try sumthng that would help. The problem now is tht I go through the same routine as u charity ..of 3 to 4 weeks in between each eye .. Plz help anyone if u have any tips ..I desperately need my lashes to grow

Jess said:
    May 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Has anyone else tried Wink? (winknaturalcosmetics.com) I stumbled across it when looking up Latisse – it is totally natural and is supposed to have no side effects. Been using it for a month or so, and it definitely helps with the urge to pull – unfortunately, it only takes 5 minutes to undo 3-4 weeks of progress, but I have found it helps, and may be less scary than some of the other products out there, and pretty sure it costs less. Like some people who have tried Latisse, I have found that my eyelashes irritate me less, and so I have less urge to pull at them, but I have yet to be completely “cured”.

myra said:
    June 13, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Im gonna try ur method of appling fake lashes. Ive been pulling for 40 yrs.I want to get pic taken up close and not feel embsrrassed. Thanks!

Savannah said:
    June 15, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I have been pulling my eyelashes since I was about six and I am now 13. I’m really upset because I am reading all these posts and most people have been pulling for over 20 years and as long as 40 years! I have only pulled for 7 years and I thought that I have been pulling longer than anyone else in this world! I really scares me that I could still be pulling my eyelashes 30 years from now and can’t stop. I didn’t know what trich was untill probably 3 years ago. I thought I was the only one who pulled my eyelashes. It’s been really hard because I don’t feel as comfortable going to pools or sleepovers with my friends fearing they’ll find out about my secret. I wish I could tell others but I told my best friend about it and whenever I finally grow them out noticably she doesn’t even say good job or something to encourage me to keep going. I wish I could just stop. So I have been searching a lot lately for something to help and I think this could really work but I am really worried about the side effects because the red irritated eyes sound awful so if anyone sees this, please reply and tell me if it really irritates your eyelids or if it is just a precaution of what could happen.

wanda said:
      July 5, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Hey….I’ve been pulling my eyelashes for about 40 years….and it was embarrassing when I was your age. I would do things like wear a patch on one eye that I pulled to much out of, the night before and tell people I got grease in that eye….all sorts of shame around what I did to myself. It’s not easy to stop, that’s for sure. And it’s not the action of pulling we have to get help for it’s why we pull……that’s the place to start. I know when I pull I get all numb inside and zone out. It’s kinda like a drug, if you know what I mean. So if we’re needing to numb out….then what are we needing to numb out from. You’re young and finding someone to talk to is a really good idea. I think that when I was young I was self medicating…with drugs and pulling my eyebrows and eyelashes out….well I have not done drugs for 20 years and still pull my eyelashes out……and as I’ve gotten older they are starting not to grow back so fast…….so just be really gentle on yourself….just pay attention to when you do it…..you don’t have to stop right away….just pay attention to when you’re doing it…and see if you can find someone….a professional or a safe adult, that you can talk to…or write to me any time…most of all…..be gentle…

As ever,
      Wanda.

Savannah said:
        July 11, 2014 at 12:13 am

Wanda, thank you very much. I know exactly what you mean. When ever I am pulling, I zone out. I know I’m pulling but I cant stop myself. I tell myself while I’m pulling”stop” that its not too late but I pull anyway. Thank you so much for the advice. I will definately look into finding someone to talk to.
        Sincerely,